Friday, July 9, 2010

Journey to Hong Kong!


FINALLY ARRIVED in HONG KONG
but it was definitely a long journey getting here. Woke up bright and early to head to the airport. Okay scratch that it wasn't bright at all. It was 5:30AM...it was definitely still dark outside. Somehow the apartment world had decided to give Levi a hard time and make his Houston apartment search/lease signing a difficult one. However, his ill luck turned out to work in my favor because I was able to get him to stay in Sugar Land with me until I left Thursday morning :) Nothing better than spending my last few days in the states with him and my family!

Made it to the airport with no rush and said goodbye to my parents. Please note I saw a family with THREE ginger children at the Houston airport. Yes, THREE. I had never seen so many gingers in one family (minus Harry Potter...) That was probs the most eventful thing of that first 3.5 hour flight. Although due to the tropical storm weather in Houston my flight did leave late and arrived about 30-40 min later than I scheduled in Newark.

I still had about 30 minutes in Newark to grab a sandwich, spend too much money on magazines and catch my plane to Hong Kong.

-----------------------------
Please note this next leg of this blogpost was typed on my laptop during my flight::
It's currently 8:49pm back home and it's 9:49am in Hong Kong. Outside the plane it's currently -50 degrees fahrenheit and we're flying over what appears on the tv screen map to be the antarctic somewhere north of Eastern Europe/Western Russia. Last time I was on a flight to Hong Kong I wondered the same thing I am now. Why do they fly up across the Atlantic Ocean towards Europe and then back down to Hong Kong instead of just up towards the Pacific Ocean? I trust that this is really the fastest route because I know it takes longer to fly around the equator and stuff but still...I'm confused. Anyways, there are still 8 hours and 37 minutes left of this 14 hour and 56 min plane ride. However our ETA is about an hour early :) yes captain, please continue to fly as quickly as possible.

Thoughts at this point in the plane ride:
1. my back hurts

2. why did the asian man sitting behind me think it was okay to put his feet up on the armrest in front of him (aka MY ARMREST)? Don't worry I elbowed his sock feet off after I nearly burst in to tears at the fact that I miss home already and now some asian man was putting his feet on my armrest. Please note that I found out after a restroom trip that this man wasn't asian afterall...

3. in flight entertainment watched
-Singing in the Rain
-When in Rome
-a rando tv show about a wedding chapel in Vegas
-The Usual Suspects

4. please let me off the plane soon

-----------------------------

After I wrote that^ I think my drammamine kicked in because I fell asleep until they announced we only had an hour and forty minutes left in the flight! whoop!

Uncle Eli and Auntie Marie picked me up from the airport and after dinner we headed back to their place. I was having trouble uploading it, but later this week I'll show yall a nice little tour of my sweet crib for the next 3 or so weeks.

This morning I woke up around 8AM HK time and went downstairs to the gym to get in a short workout.


Uncle Eli said there's a trail outside that doesn't have crazy elevation and incline (his apartment is on top of a mountain/cliff thing), but I didn't brave it today. Check out the sweet view from the treadmill though




and I think something was lost in translation for this sign...probs meant to say, "Be aware of your personal belongings" although we are in Asia, so I also could imagine some sort of Transformers moment happening where my electronics could come to life so maybe they did mean "beware"



Here are some pictures from Uncle Eli's balcony this morning.






That's all for now! Hong Kong is 13 hours ahead of yall so PLEASE SKYPE ME and keep in touch with me via FACEBOOK!

love, stine

No comments:

Post a Comment