Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Made it halfway through the work week!
On Wednesdays the bank arranges for an English teacher to come. She helps everyone with their understanding of English especially with writing inquiries, working with customers, and reading financial or economic news. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to deal business in a new language (I can barely get my job done and I'm a native English speaker...)! Even though I am a native English speaker I attended the class and actually found it rather fun getting to know my co-workers better. It made me really want to improve and learn more Spanish, but unfortunately I heard the Spanish class is through sign-up and so I won't be able to attend the one currently in session. I may just have to buy a book and ask my Spanish co-workers to help me! Perhaps I should buy a Cantonese book as well and ask my Chinese co-workers to help a bit with that as well?



Yesterday Uncle Eli left for a speaking engagement in Singapore so I had my first cab ride home from work. Outside the IFC there is already a taxi stand so I stepped outside and waited for a cab.
"Jiān ní dìdào. Bō lǎodào.(Kennedy Road, Borrett Road)"
"chick-hoy ( I couldn't find the current spelling for this on google translator but that is the general pronunciation and it means something like, stay straight"
"jin yao (once again please note this is not the correct spelling, but hey the taxi driver understood me..."
Success.

Today is my first bus riding experience. Wish me luck!

love, stine

1 comment: