Today was my first experience riding the bus here in Hong Kong. It is very cheap to ride from the bus stop just down from Uncle Eli's apartment to a stop near work (5.80 HKD which is less than 1 USD). However it takes a rather long time in rush hour traffic. I think today the bus arrived around 9:05AM and it took me until just after 9:25AM to reach my stop at Jardin House. Que terrible! Once at Jardin House there is a staircase which leads to a large network of walkways above the street which connects to several buildings, one of which is the IFC. I was about 5 minutes late to work, which wasn't a big deal, but I think next time I'll just take a taxi to avoid the stress of rushing to work! The taxi costs about 36 HKD (about 4.60 USD), but it can take a different and less congested route than the bus. It was a neat experience nonetheless and I may take the bus in the future when it's not rush hour during the week.
During my lunch hour I decided to leave a bit later and go to lunch alone rather than with the other interns. I ate quickly and then browsed the mall a bit. I made a stop at the City Super which is a grocery store. I was hoping to find some strange things to take pictures of, but to my surprise almost everything was familiar! I definitely need to take a trip to the wet market to find some unique and picture-worthy groceries.
At the City Super they sold Kellogs, Eggo, Kashi, fruits imported from California, an extravagant selection of imported European cheeses and chocolates. I think I could have done my entire normal grocery list while I was there! And even pick up a few healthy foods/supplements which are hard to find in College Station! But I wasn't there to grocery shop really and so I just picked up a package of Oreo so Levi and I could reenact this commercial over Skype :)
Apparently tonight was also World Cup Celebration Part II and I was invited/convinced to go to a tapas bar after work with some of the office.
Once again: I need to learn Spanish. It's not even a "want" any more...I need to...I met a guy who works in the BBVA headquarters in Madrid and he mentioned to me another amazing internship opportunity that they have in Madrid that would be great for me considering my math background. We swapped e-mails and I am definitely going to look in to the opportunity. How legit would it be to intern in Madrid next summer??? Or as I said to him, "I would LOVE TO INTERN IN SPAIN!"
I need to Rosetta Stone then and learn some Spanish perhaps. The problem is that I need to learn like Castilian Spanish, not the Spanish which is typically taught in Texas. Anyone have any insight?
I didn't stay too long at the bar and I hailed a taxi back to Uncle Eli's. Man I feel like such an independent lady/ grown up these days.
Can't wait para el fin de semana!
Love, stine
That would be awesome!
ReplyDelete