First of all, I do enjoy math, but not to the extent that I've been genuinely interested in my math classes. In fact I've gotten really good at absorbing the material in those classes like a sponge, but having it all squeezed out at the end of the semester leaving me without any legitimate knowledge or appreciation or interest in what I just forced myself to regurgitate test after test (example: I forgot how to take integrals for my mathematics of interest quiz on Friday...what the heck...)
My economics courses on the other hand have always been a lot more interesting to me. Granted they haven't been as difficult as my math classes, but I like studying for those classes. They motivate me to read and research material outside of class that are related to topics I'm learning about. I appreciate its application and impact on the "real world" and its impact on the every day lives of people. Although I also don't think I want to go to grad school for economics any more either. Before I switched majors I was anxious and in a hurry to graduate from college and just "get it over with." Now I am genuinely excited about the classes I get to take and want to soak up every moment of my time here at Texas A&M.

I have this quote by Warren Bennis posted on the corkboard above my desk-
"The point is to become yourself, to use yourself completely—all your skills, gifts, and energies—in order to make your vision manifest. You must withhold nothing. You must, in sum, become the person you started out to be and enjoy the process of becoming."
What exactly I hope to become is still a bit of a mystery to me and I'm not sure what my future holds, but being at A&M has been such an amazing opportunity that there is no reason I shouldn't take advantage of it and allow myself to put my whole self in to my time here, something I obviously wasn't doing before.
So Friday morning, I woke up early and went to the economics department before class and filled out the paperwork. And just like that, by that afternoon, I was an economics major.
I really don't believe in fortune telling, but I did have my palm read once and she was shocked when I told her I was going to start school as a math major and had natural sciences/technology pursuits. Apparently to her I was more of a social sciences/anthropology/artsy type. Maybe she was full of it, but this was a big decision for me to make, (i.e. I'm feeling anxious about it) so I'm going to pretend like she wasn't and that she was just right.

love, stine
Sounds good. When my ninang read your palm at the crab restaurant?
ReplyDeletehahah yes!
ReplyDeleteso proud of you for changing majors! let's enjoy our last couple of semesters here the best we can!! :)
ReplyDelete-blaireski