Monday, May 30, 2011

"Hey do you like those folk?"

Today was our first day of classes here in Dublin. We weren’t scheduled to meet our professor until 10AM so I woke up a little bit early and did a quick run around campus. I’m not quite sure, but I think I ended up actually running off-campus through a small neighborhood of cute little townhouses. It is such perfect weather to go running here since the air is nice and cool and it’s breezy! Such an improvement from the humidity of College Station and Houston!

The fees for the study abroad program include breakfast every morning so it’s all you can eat under 7euro. Which for me today was a bottled water, sausage and eggs, a small baguette, and a banana that I saved for later. I am perfectly fine with drinking the tap water here though from now on though.

After breakfast we had a short day of class (short meaning only 2 hours compared to our usual 4) and a small group of us headed on the bus to do some grocery shopping. Dublin has a wide variety of delicious foods and drinks, but it can get pretty pricy! If we’re going to be living here for a whole month we know we can’t eat out for every meal! The grocery store we went to was pretty big and had anything you could think of (well anything, but in a European version).




Definitely going to be great to eat in and save my money for shopping, tours, and nights out on the town.

As we were walking through the shopping center where the grocery was we walked pass many groups of young schoolchildren. The other girls and I were all giggling because of their precious preppy uniforms (very Harry Potter-esque) when I thought I heard one of the young boys (maybe 12y/o?) say- “hey do you like those folk?” We laughed because we all misheard what he really said which ended up being- “hey do you want to f____?” Those accents can be very deceiving….middle schoolers these days are out control!!

When we finally got back to our dorms it was nearly 4pm. I ate a quick lunch then my friend, Elizabeth, and I walked through campus to find a nice spot to do our homework in.





Such a pretty day!

The rest of the evening my friend, Cami, and I spent trying to plan out more things that we want to do in Dublin, on our weekends, and on a trip we’re planning to London. If anyone has anything to suggest- feel free to let me know!

A small group went to walk around in town a little bit, but the busses stop running here around 11:30 on the weekdays (11pm on Sundays!) and I was a bit too tired to peruse tonight. It stays light outside here for soooo long that I didn’t even realize it was nearly 10pm! This morning I woke up to the sun through my window and thought I had overslept for my run but it was only 5am and it doesn’t get completely dark until a little after 10pm! So much sunlight for a region that could have multiple rain showers at any time of day (we did see a double rainbow today)!

For now I’m off to attempt to do some more reading for class tomorrow!

As promised, here are some photos of our common area in the apartment/dorm.





love, Pristine

1 comment: