Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Day 7:

For those of you who don't remember, my vision at LeaderShape was based around a relatively new tradition Class Councils started 2 years ago called 11-11 Day. Each year Class Councils hosts a card writing campaign which allows students to write cards and letters of support to Aggie veterans and Aggies currently serving. As this year's New Traditions Director, my main responsibility lies in the promotion and organization of 11-11 Day.

Since LeaderShape I have spent quite a bit of time thinking of what I want my legacy with this event on our campus to be. My motivation for veterans affairs and support of our US Military was always clear to me.

During WWII my grandfather joined the United States Army from the Philippines. His time in the army created cherished memories for him and years after his service he received priceless support from the US government including housing, financial support, treatment for cancer, and of course, my family's immigration and citizenship.

When I was in elementary school my older brother, Gio, proudly joined the United States Air Force. Having been 16 years older than me, he was always a figure in my life that I looked up to for much of my childhood. Even after he passed away in 2000 while in the service, I can still say that I look up to what he stood for- honor, integrity, and service to his family, community,and country.




While my family has meant so much to me, being a part of the Aggie family is something unlike any other alumni network in the nation and the tradition of the Aggie Ring is one that connects Aggies worldwide. Earning that "little ring made of gold" is something that students and student veterans look forward to from the moment they step on to campus.

There are numerous student veterans on our campus here at Texas A&M who know the blessings and sufferings of serving our great nation and unfortunately cannot afford their Aggie Rings. With this in mind, the 11-11 Day Committee and I have founded the Class Councils Aggie Rings for Veterans Fund. The fund will provide scholarships for student veterans to receive their Aggie Rings. Through this unique giving opportunity, people will have the chance to ensure that student veterans who have earned their Aggie Rings, have the financial resources to do so.


The 11-11 Day Committee will be holding pre-order t-shirt sales from now until Monday 10/25 on the Quad from 10-3pm to raise money for the fund. If you are unable to purchase a t-shirt at that location, please contact me and we can make arrangements. T-shirts are $10 and on November 12, the students in the Corps of Cadets can wear the t-shirt instead of the uniform of the day.




Direct gifts to the Class Councils Aggie Rings for Veterans fund are also accepted. All gifts are tax-deductible and can be sent to 505 George Bush Drive, TAMU 1242, College Station, TX, 77840-2918; made payable to “The Association of Former Students.” Please specify “Class Councils Aggie Rings for Veterans fund” in the memo of your check or in an attached note.



If any one would like more information on donating or purchasing a t-shirt, please feel free to contact me at pristine.r@neo.tamu.edu



-Pristine

1 comment:

  1. You already know where I stand on this, but I am really proud of what you're doing and I think it's a worthwhile cause that gives back to those who give the most.

    ReplyDelete