Sunday, October 10, 2010

"The 12-yr old will get slower. Just wait till he gets to college..."

Last week we found out the names of our Class Councils "C-Mates." My "wife" Allison and I became parents of the two best freshmen in Texas A&M's 2014 Fish Council :)



I am so excited to spend my junior year helping them through their freshmen year.



Friday I headed out from College Station and back home to Sugar Land. My parents spent the bulk of the weekend at a family wedding rehearsal dinner/wedding/reception etc. but Friday night Gabby, Tim, Levi, Cady and I went out to Japaneiros for dinner. Cady got tired pretty quickly though and Gabby and Tim headed straight home after dinner. Levi and I grabbed some frozen yogurt and headed to the center of Town Square because there was a band playing. We only caught the end of the band's first set though and headed home because the strangest anti-drug puppet show started up. Very strange indeed...

Saturday morning Levi and I had to be up early to run a 10k. The event was sponsoring awareness and support for underprivileged children. It was pretty neat because I haven't ran with Levi in months and I like that he always runs right next to me (errr like 3 feet in front of me) so that we can chit-chat (errr he chit-chats while I nod or shake my head...) together during our runs. The 5k/10k didn't start until 8:30AM though which actually felt pretty late because I'm used to running about an hour earlier than that. Plus it was quite a bit more humid than College Station is. It was a lot of fun though and I think Levi was surprised by the competition. And in reference to my blog post title-Yes a 12 year old boy beat out almost all of us in the 10k...You should have also seen the look of shame on the 17-yr old that won first place in his age division by just seconds...to a 7-yr old.

After the race Levi had to go back in to Houston for some Saturday review classes at his law school. I laid sedentary on the couch for a good bit, showered, and ran errands with Yaya. While we were out I picked up this.



A new camera.

As many of you know, my previous camera had seen far better days. Which is expected considering it used to be my sister's camera when she was in college. I went through quite a few digital cameras during my freshman/sophomore years so I finally decided not to get a new nice camera and to use Gabby's old one. Now that that one is dunzo, I've decided to give responsibility another try and got myself a nice, new camera. I originally planned on getting something simple. You can get a pretty nice, compact, point and shoot camera for around $100 after all. But 15 minutes and one Taylor Swift commercial later, the salesman at Best Buy had convinced me to get the Sony DSC-W350. I haven't looked at all the features yet, but I do know it takes some sweet panoramic pictures. Or at least it should....

I figured that feature will come in handy for the trip Levi and I are planning for Christmas (details coming later!).

After Levi finished with his studying, I met him in Houston and we did a bit of shopping and browsing. Mostly browsing through the Galleria and around Houston in Westheimer/Montrose area. After perusing the shops we met my friend Uzma for dinner at the Armadillo Palace.

The whole place was pretty much booked for reunions and parties, but we managed to make a reservation for a table outside on the patio. The food was awesome and hanging out with Uzma was even better. It was her first time meeting Levi, but we all have oodles in common. Levi and I also shared the background on our love story which happens to be rather unconventional...but Uzma liked it. Finally. Someone else that truly appreciates our relationship history!

I was super full from dinner but we had passed House of Pies on our way to the Armadillo and Levi was more than willing to drop by on our way home. We bought a chocolate meringue pie and oh my goodness. I love meringue pies and this one was all that I hoped it would be and more. The two of us sat in Levi's apartment eating pie and cheeto puffs and planning out a rough draft of our Christmas vacation itinerary. Eeek!!!



Sunday was my chance to SLEEP IN and it felt awesome. Levi and I grabbed a few kolaches for breakfast and went up to Levi's school library to get some studying in. We spent about 4 hours there and I read one chapter...woops. I may have spent a bit too much time reading my copy of Rick Steves Germany...

Before I knew it, it was dinner time already. Dinner + Sunday + Houston = 99 cent chili dogs at James Coney Island. Mmmmmmmmm. Nothing like cheap fast food hot dog goodness to close out your weekend. I felt large after that meal. But okay, maybe we still ate another piece of the chocolate meringue pie when we got back to Levi's apartment.

This week is going to be BUSY. I have a test on Wednesday and lots of other deadlines creeping over my shoulder, but Saturday will be Gameday in Aggieland yet again AND the next weekend is Texian Market Days. Lots to look forward to to get me through these tough weeks!

Love,
stine

3 comments:

  1. In Sugar Land it seems like "10k charitable fun run" is synonymous with "No holds barred 10k race against suburban supermen wearing high-dollar running apparel and freak-of-nature children." But on the bright side at least we didn't deprive a 7-year old child of a hard-earned victory in the form of a $5.00 trophy...maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. I like Levi's comment. Hey, we haven't hear your love story! Well, some kids are pretty good runners. It's not like they have a lot going on besides running around. A lot of kids play soccer around here, too. I woke up early enough to come see you guys, but banjak was here. I want to try House of Pies now. Ooh, I bet planning the trip is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete